Wednesday, May 25, 2011

noteworthy

sometimes i think i get so caught up in making it through the days, weeks, stages, phases, terms that i really miss opportunities to be intentional as a mother.
i can't remember where i first heard/read about the 'You & Me' notebook (our name for it) idea but it is a totally ace way to develop deeper relationships with your children before they hit the tween/teen years.

basically it's a notebook of short letters between a parent and child. (sometimes it's easier to ask awkward questions, express deep feelings, or discuss tricky school situations through writing isn't it?)

i gave this notebook to Jada when she turned 7 and already it is so special to look back over the notes we've shared these last few months. i use it to encourage her, to thank her for positive behaviours i have observed, or simply to let her know how special she is, and then i put it beside her bed for her to find when she wakes. if she likes, she will reply and leave it on my pillow for me :)


she pretty much loves it :)

(and so do i.
just don't let me read over it on the eve of her wedding!!)

15 comments:

  1. can we steal this idea? I LOVE this! and its something that can be just for a girl and her mum, no siblings. love that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is a lovely idea!!!
    My Mum used to communicate with me during my teenage years with highlighted passages in my Bible...which I treasure.
    My eldest is about to turn 10 and we are already seeing signs of the next phase in our lives, would love to borrow this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This completely goes along with my love for the "home classroom" - I made a commitment that I can't do less for my own children than I did for my students, as a teacher...and this "you & me" is very 120%teacher-student. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a brilliant idea. I will be keeping this in mind for some time in the future. I'm definitely more of a writer than a talker so I reckon this would work well for us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea. I might have to try that with my almost 7 year old daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you dee, I am going to make one for Connor, he would be so into it! Xx jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good idea!!! My mum used to pop notes in my lunchbox - but love the idea of them writing back to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea! And may just have to steal it one day too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you dee. I'll be filing this one away too xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing idea - thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, love it, love it. I'd do it right now but it'd be a bit one sided - I'd better wait until the little guy can read basic sentences! What a gorgeous idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is a stunning idea. My six year old daughter writes me letters a lot and leaves them for me to find on my dresser.

    The last one was asking me why her friends don't invite her to their birthday's....Being left out is ageless and always hard.

    Totally nicking this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I love this idea!! This would be ace to do with my two homeschoolers :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea...and I have a seven year old..perfect!

    ReplyDelete

it means so much that you've taken the time to comment~ x